Friday, March 30, 2012

Righteous Rice

Since starting this blog, I've tried a lot of new techniques and followed a lot of recipes. One thing I haven't tried is making one of those elusive dishes that you dream about and only order in restaurants. Risotto. That all changed today.

The main obstacle with risotto is the stamina it takes to stand at the stove top, stirring mercilessly for close to a half hour. I had a pulled muscle in my left arm this morning and I won't be surprised if I wake up with one in my right arm tomorrow. That's a lot of stirring!

The dish itself consists of very basic ingredients: mushrooms, garlic, shallot, oil, white wine, chicken broth, and Arborio rice. Please, if you make any version of risotto, get the Arborio rice. It's a short-grain, very starchy rice and it is great for the rigorous cooking process. A little Parmesan cheese stirred in at the end: perfection.

The best part of this recipe was that is was for one serving. Okay, maybe it was supposed to be two smaller servings, but hey, with a side of freshly steamed broccoli, you've got yourself a balanced meal... rounded out with a glass of white! This really was one of the best dishes I've made in a while. So much so, the empty bowl is still warm and sitting next to my computer.


No comments:

Post a Comment