Friday, February 20, 2009

Coconut Milk and Birch Beer

By far, my strangest trip to the grocery store to date.

I know that after a while... after several hundred average trips to the store... once in a while a person is bound to enter with a mental list of two items and exit with a bag full of oddities. Odd as in a small jar of curry powder, a can of coconut milk, and a 12-pack of Pennsylvania Dutch birch beer. Don't get me wrong, all of these items have specific purposes. They are destined to either aid in the creation of my newest recipe or at least satisfy my craving for carbonation, but some how seeing 10 very different items on one receipt just makes you laugh.

I set out tonight to try a recipe I found in a cookbook I received as a gift. From my guacamole adventure this past weekend, I have a significant amount of cilantro left to use up and I thought it might be interesting to try Coconut Curry Chicken, which features a teaspoon of said green leaves. Not too involved, but definitely different than anything I've made before. Only problem was I had no coconut and no curry. Got the chicken, though.

This led me to my amusing mid-week trip to Pathmark -- not a bad time to go, mind you. I found my two items and then of course had to pick up two oranges, garlic powder, and bagels. Oh, and a pint of Turkey Hill ice cream, because (a) it's a favorite from the homeland and (b) I was out. With $20 less in my checking account and a case of birch beer in my arm, I was off.

I made the dish pretty quickly and served it over white rice, but the curry wasn't as thick as I have seen in the past. It wasn't as spicy as the indian food I've had either, but that was okay by me. I think if I could make the sauce just a little heavier, I would definitely make it again. Of course, now I have two thirds of can of coconut milk to use up...

No comments:

Post a Comment