Wednesday, March 25, 2009

She's Got Leftovers for Days

So I've suddenly (well, as of two weeks ago) found myself with a lot of time on my hands. For the most part, this isn't a good thing for me, because I am very much a worker-type. I can appreciate a restful break, don't get me wrong, but I find it hard to fill my time lately. With no day-to-day commitments, I decided it might be a good time to tackle some of the recipes I've been meaning to try.

That was the intention, but the reality is that, because of the overwhelming guilt everyone feels over spending any money, I've been preparing recipes on a large scale so I can eat for a few days on only a few dollars. There is both leftover minestrone and mushroom risotto in the freezer even now. As you can imagine, eating the same thing for three days straight can be frustrating for a food-lover/aspiring cook. To mix it up last night I made an easy recipe from the Kraft Food & Family magazine. My grandma suggested I subscribe to it and since it's completely free except for the occasional annoyance of an e-issue in my inbox, I think it's a great idea.

I tried Spinach-Pasta Toss, which is somewhat surprising because I usually don't eat spinach in any form. I have to say though, I bought a 6-oz bag, which I've been using for salads all week and it still looks full. Talk about a good deal. Anyway, the dish only required a can of diced tomatoes, two cups of whole-grain penne, and one cup of water all boiled together and then simmered for 10 minutes. Then you add a handful of flat-leaf spinach, stir it around for a minute, and serve it all with some Italian cheese on top.

Simple and cheap, but I have to say, the photograph in the magazine is what grabbed my attention. Those food stylists know what they're doing. I'm sure my photo doesn't compare, but the food was delicious and I'm actually looking forward to having the leftovers this afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment